Monday 23 February 2015

REVIEW 'I Am a Dalek' by Gareth Roberts (A Doctor Who Quick Reads Novel)

'I Am a Dalek' by Gareth Roberts

Goodreads Synopsis:

"Equipped with space suits, golf clubs and a flag, the Doctor and Rose are planning to live it up, Apollo mission-style, on the Moon. But the TARDIS has other plans, landing them instead in a village on the south coast of England; a picture-postcard sort of place where nothing much happens. Until now...

An archaeological dig has turned up a Roman mosaic, circa AD 70, depicting mythical scenes, grapes and a Dalek. A few days later a young woman, rushing for work, is knocked over and killed by a bus, then comes back to life.

It's not long before all hell breaks loose, and the Doctor and Rose must use all their courage and cunning against an alien enemy and a not-quite-alien accomplice who are intent on destroying humanity."


Hello Elementareaders!

My 8 year old nephew gave me this book that he found at a second-hand sale because he knows I love Doctor Who. He's such a sweetie! Anyway, I read it the day he gave it to me and I'm going to write a little review.

'I Am a Dalek' is a Doctor Who Quick Reads novel. Quick Reads books are only 100 pages long and a designed to get people into reading by being short and not too daunting. I'm pretty sure this book was written for children but I enjoyed it all the same.

My favourite Doctor/Companion combo is Ten/Rose so it's awesome to get more stories with these two characters. The book opens with Rose and The Doctor in the TARDIS about to land on the Moon. However, it's never that simple in Doctor Who and they end up in an English pub. Before they can figure out why the TARDIS took them there the doors close and The Doctor is whisked away, leaving Rose behind. Rose spots a newspaper with a picture of a mosaic on the front, and on the mosaic is a “familiar pepperpot shape. Three rods stuck out from it; an eye-stalk from the dome of its head, a sucker attachment and a gun from its middle. Its lower half was studded with shining circular shapes. A Dalek.” ('I Am a Dalek' p7)
This is such a great little Doctor Who story. I loved how the Dalek begins as an empty shell, then it is given life and a new Dalek grows inside. It was fun reading how the Dalek matured (very quickly!) and the weaknesses it had when it was first ‘born’.

I would definitely recommend this book to kids and adults alike! It would be great for getting kids into reading as the language is simple and the story easy to follow. But I honestly think a Who fan of any age would enjoy it.

I would give this book 4 stars :)


Let me know in the comments if you’re a fellow Whovian! Who’s your favourite Doctor/Companion combination? 


Places to buy:

Follow Gareth Roberts on:

Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment