Saturday 7 February 2015

REVIEW 'Paper Towns' by John Green

'Paper Towns' by John Green

Goodreads Synopsis:

"Quentin has always loved Margo Roth Spiegelman, for Margo (and her adventures) are the stuff of legend at their high school. So when she one day climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow.

But the next day Margo doesn't come to school and a week later she is still missing. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance . . . and they are for him. But as he gets deeper into the mystery – culminating in another awesome road trip across America – he becomes less sure of who and what he is looking for.

Masterfully written by John Green, this is a thoughtful, insightful and hilarious coming-of-age story."



Hey there Elementareaders!

‘Paper Towns’ is only the second John Green book I've read. I read ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ last year just before the film came out and I loved it. I've had most of them sitting on my shelf for ages but hadn't found the time to get to them before now (possible John Green spree coming to this blog!).

I absolutely adore John Green’s style of writing. It’s just so conversational and easy to read. I'll sit down with the intention of reading a chapter or two and before I know it I'm half-way through the book.

‘Paper Towns’ is the unconventional love story of two teens from Orlando, Florida; Quentin Jacobson and Margo Roth Spiegelman. The story is told in first person narrative from Quentin's point of view. Quentin is a senior in his last few weeks at high school before graduation. Margo, his next door neighbour, is also a senior and Quentin has been holding a torch for her since they were children, but they had drifted apart as teenagers. One night, Margo unexpectedly appears at Quentin's window and whisks him away on a night-time road trip where they wreak havoc and revenge on Margo's enemies and end up breaking into SeaWorld.

The next day Margo doesn't show up for school. It seems she has ran away and as she is 18 and legally an adult the police can do nothing about it. Margo however has left clues, a breadcrumb trail for Quentin to follow.

I like that Margo, who is Queen Bee at the school, is not your conventional skinny cheerleader. Her ‘curviness’ is referenced throughout the book and I think it is great to have a female character who isn't skinny and ‘perfect’. Quentin and his quirky band friends are also really great characters. I love how they are kind of the misfits but are not penalised for it in school. There are so many books and television shows around at the moment where the unique kids are bullied and I'm glad this book was very different in that respect.

I enjoyed piecing together the clues with Quentin and I though the breadcrumb trail was so well thought out and well written. As I mentioned before, John Green’s writing is just so easy and fun to read. I loved the whole road trip section in part 3. The way it was set out in hours was really clever.

I think this is a really great little novel for both teens and adults. It raises and discusses some important issues and I think the reader can really go on this journey with Quentin about finding himself along the way while looking for Margo. I really liked the bitter-sweet ending that shows that you have to follow your heart, even if it takes you in a direction you maybe don’t expect.

I would give this book 4 stars :)


Have you read ‘Paper Towns’? Which John Green book should I read next? Let me know in the comments :)


Places to buy:

Follow John Green on:

No comments:

Post a Comment